40 Photographers to Follow on Twitter
In case you’ve been living under a rock for the last four years, Twitter is taking over the Internet. It’s more than a website to update your friends on what you’re doing, but rather a place to market products, research trends and find interesting content.
Now if you’re one of the one that’s been saying you don’t understand it, take some time to add some of these photographers and you’ll see what kind of information you could be getting.
This is by no means a “Best Photographers on Twitter list,” but rather a list of people that I think post interesting content, both with their personal work, as well as information that new photographers can learn from.
1. Scott Bourne – (@ScottBourne) – Scott is probably best known on Twitter for giving away photo equipment on a regular basis. His photography is also amazing as well.
2. Jeremy Cowart – (@jeremycowart) – Jeremy has shot such people as Tim Tebow, Imogen Heap, and Brandi Carlile. He’s currently working on a photo essay titled “Voices of Haiti” which showcases some of the people affected by the tragic earthquake.
3. David Hobby – (@strobist) – David is the first photographer I visit when I need a reference on lighting a subject.
4. Trey Ratcliff (@TreyRatcliff) – Trey is the king of HDR photography.
5. Chase Jarvis (@chasejarvis) – Chase has an excellent outgoing personality and a huge love for creating things.
6. Michael Zhang (@petapixel) – Sometimes content from several sites on the Internet can all run together, but Michael manages to find new content that is relevant and equally exciting.
7. Jim Goldstein (@jimgoldstein) – Jim is a landscape photographer residing in San Francisco.
8. Scott Kelby (@ScottKelby) – Scott Kelby shoots many things, but it’s his excellent Photoshop tutorial blog that drew me into his work.
9. Art Wolfe (@artwolfe) – Art has truly traveled to the edge of the world to capture some amazing travel photographs.
10. Tom Lowe (@timescapes) – Tom may be a stretch to put on a list of photographers because he shoots mostly timelapse videos, but his videos are mind boggling, and a timelapse video is essentially just several thousand photos, right?
11. Jimmy Chin (@jimkchin) – Jimmy is a self-described climber, skier, nomad, explorer, trouble-maker, and of course, phtographer. He’s climbed Everest and often shoots for National Geographic.
12. Austin Holt (@holtphoto) – Austin is a snowboard photographer from Salt Lake City.
13. Haruki “Harookz” Noguchi (@Harookz) – Harookz is a commercial sports and action photographer who shoots primarily mountain biking. He just recently wrapped up a cross-continental BMX train trip.
14. Erik Seo (@erikseo) – Erik is an action photographer only. He does no Search Engine Optimization (SEO) work.
15. Dan Carr (@dancarrphoto) – Dan Carr is a snowboard photographer who’s life I envy. He seeems to live in helicopters flying over big mountains.
16. Ian Coble (@iancoble) – Ian is a self-taught action photographer who shoots large editorials and ads in urban and backcountry locations around the world.
17. Camilla Stoddart (@CamillaStoddart) – Camilla has an astounding portfolio full of snowboard and action photography off the beaten path.
18. Clark Little (@ClarkLittle) – The extreme efforts that Clark goes through to get his surfing photographs show through in his amazing portfolio.
19. Chris O’Connell (@OCPhotography) – Chris shoots mainly editorial and commercial ski and snowboard photography in and around California.
20. Joey Lawrence (@joeyldotcom) – Joey is only 20 years old and already has made a name for himself with his commercial work, but it is his personal work that has really attracted me to his photos.
21. Ian Plant (@ianplantphoto) – Ian is one of the best landscape photographers on the planet. He has written several books covering the places he has traveled and the shots he has taken there.
22. Jerod Foster (@jerodfoster – I attended Texas Tech with Jerod. His Twitter covers information from lighting to the equipment he uses to capture his amazing photos. He’s recently taken a stab at a bit of video recording as well.
23. Richard Houtby (@SeeTTL) – Richard is one of my favorite photographers due to his minimalistic approach in his photos.
24. Dick Berry (@Dlberry) – Dick is a landscape photographer from Saint Joseph, Michigan.
25. Paul Hailes (@paulhailes) – Paul is another young photographer from Lubbock, Texas with a bright future ahead of him.
26. David Hawkins-Weeks (@extrajection) – David specializes in several areas including abstract, macro, nature, landscape, architectural and industrial subjects.
27. Joe McNally (@JoeMcNallyPhoto) – Joe is a long-tim photojournalist who always has something interesting to tweet.
28. Jasmine Star (@jasminestar) – Easily the best wedding photographer in the United States.
29. Noah Kalina (@noahkalina) – You may not recognize Noah, but I can guarantee you will recognize this YouTube video that he made several years ago.
30. Wendy Whitacre (@bluelilyphoto) – Another excellent wedding photographer from California, but travels all over the country.
31. Lauren Clark (@lclarkphoto) – Lauren is a photographer from Lubbock, Texas who recently moved to Stillwater, Oklahoma.
32. Paul Manoian (@PaulManoian) – Paul was voted the best portrait photographer in Detroit for 2009.
33. Allen Klosowski (@TheBigKlosowski) – Allen is a photographer from Denver who organizes the Denver tweetup.
34. Colby Brown (@CBphotography09) – Colby is a travel photographer who also manages two other Twitter accounts worth following. He is currently covering the Haiti disaster via @LespwaHaiti and also runs a non-profit organization that raises awareness about the growing problems facing the world through photography via @thegivinglens.
35. Michael Menefee (@fortphoto) – I discovered Michael’s photography through another photographer that I follow on Twitter. He resides in Fort Collins.
36. Theodore Stark (@theodorestark) – Theodore lives in Denver and shoots everything from landscapes to urban photography.
37. Dave Wright (@davewrightphoto) – Dave is a Boulder-based action photographer who’s portfolio encompasses just what it means to live in Colorado.
38. Cheryl Ungar (@CherylUngar) – Cheryl is one of the best Denver-based wedding photographers.
39. Brandon Harper (@bharperphotos) – Brandon is from Denver and shoots everything from landscapes to portrait photography.
and finally, my own Twitter account.
40. Casey McCallister (@caseymac)